It wasn’t very long ago that we considered air conditioning a luxury. These days, though, air conditioning is almost considered a necessity, especially during the hot summer months. But how long should your central air conditioning system last?
A new air conditioner is a significant investment, but the regular AC services and repairs required for an older, inefficient system can become extremely costly and surpass the cost of a new one fairly quickly.
Here’s a simple calculation to help you decide whether to repair your AC or replace your whole system:
Multiply your AC repair cost by the age of your equipment in years. If the total exceeds $5,000, it’s most likely time to replace your system. For example, if your 8-year-old unit has a $400 repair, it makes more sense to have it repaired.
Here are some AC service and maintenance tips:
• You should clean and replace your filter at least every two months, and check it monthly. A dirty filter makes your system struggle and will cause it to wear out prematurely.
• Have your AC system professionally inspected at least once a year. Regular maintenance is the best – and most cost-effective – way to stay ahead of air conditioning issues.
• Check your thermostat’s accuracy. If its temperature reading doesn’t match your home’s temperature, it’s most likely time to call our experts out for a closer look at your system.
Here’s a fun fact: The air conditioner wasn’t invented to ease discomfort. In 1902, Willis Carrier created it for a New York publishing company that was experiencing problems with their ink control and paper expansion due to humidity.
The following signs mean that the time for a new unit is drawing near, instead of investing in continuous AC repairs:
• Your energy bills keep increasing. Bills do increase during the summer months, but astronomical costs are a sign that your equipment has a problem, or is not running efficiently.
• Your home is overly humid or dusty. This often indicates a need to reseal sections of your ductwork but could be a symptom of a much larger problem.
• You hear strange noises. New noises can mean serious problems, including a failing motor, issues with your coil, and more.
• Your central air system is ten years old or older.
• You’re interested in “going green.” Equipment failure isn’t the only reason for investing in a new system. Choosing environmentally-friendly appliances can save you energy and money – and it’s the right thing to do for Mother Earth, too!
When the time is drawing near for a new central air conditioning system, call our trusted experts. Share your concerns about your current system’s efficiency, maintenance, and repair costs with your comfort consultant. Together, we’ll create a complete comfort solution that fits your home, your family, and your budget. Talk to our team now for the latest installation offers, and see how you can get easy financing for your new air conditioning system!